Awarding Body : City & Guilds
Duration: 12 Months (Phase 1 and Phase 2)
QCF Level: 5
Credit Value: 120 Credits Minimum
- Candidates must be 19+.
- Candidates wishing to undertake the DET programme must be experienced or qualified in the subject area they wish to teach at the appropriate level.
- Candidates must have access to 100 hours of teaching/training practice.
- Additionally, due to the nature of both the theory and practical assessments which students need to achieve for the DET, candidates need good written and spoken English, i.e. the ability to read and interpret written tasks, and to write in an academic style.
- Candidates will also need to organise their work and supporting materials clearly and coherently.
- Learners also need a Subject Specific Mentor to support their studies and to carry out formal observations of their classes.
All candidates should demonstrate:
- Literacy and Numeracy level 2. (Overseas students should demonstrate IELTS 6.5 or higher)
Course Information: the qualification is suitable for those who work or want to work as teachers in the Lifelong Learning Sector, i.e. further, adult and community education, work-based learning and the voluntary sector.
The qualification is designed to enable candidates to:
- Adopt an integrated approach to the theory and practice of teaching.
- Reflect on their own previous/current levels of experience, practice and skills, and areas for development.
- Identify principles of learning, teaching, assessment and evaluation.
- Develop confidence, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Develop an awareness of their professional role and responsibilities.
This is a minimum 120 credit qualification.
Phase 1 (75 Credits)
- Unit 1 – Developing Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Education and Training (Level 5) 20 Credits
- Unit 2 – Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Education and Training (Level 4) 20 Credits
- Unit 3 – Theories and Models in Education and Training (Level 5) 20 Credits
- Unit 9 – Developing, Using and Organising Resources in a Specialist Area (Level 5) 15 Credits
Phase 2 (51 Credits)
- Unit 4 – Wider Professional Practice and Development in Education and Training (Level 5) 15 Credits
- Unit 5 – Action Research (Level 5) 15 Credits
- Unit 15 – Inclusive Practise (Level 4) 15 Credits
- Unit 18 – Managing Behaviours in a Learning Environment (Level 5) 6 Credits
The learners should also evidence 100 hours of teaching and complete 8 Observations (ideally 4 by their Mentor and 4 by the Teacher Trainer).
Assessment is subject to internal and external verification of the Units submitted.
This is a full time programme and students are required to attend 15 – 21 hours of supervised study per week.